Henderson's Thoughts

Monday, 23 April 2007

Religion as the root of all evil

I'm an athiest. I do not believe in God. I do not believe that I need any book, such as The Koran or The Bible, or The Bagavad Gita to tell me how to live my life. This dosen't mean that I have no personal morals that I live by, it simply means that I will trust my own judgment to decide how to live my own life. I have no problems with other people being religious, if they choose. Sometimes though, I feel that they can be indoctrinated into it, when they are young and vulnerable. This is something which I struggle with, in my own concsience, but can do nothing about. I think that often religion helps people have more purpose in life, it is also a social thing, where like- minded people can meet up. I have known several people who have been saved by religion. I can testify that I have known several people that may well have committed suicide if they had not found God. The down side is the extremist element of religion, which can lead to war, terrorism, abuse etc. An example of this is the members of the cult in America, led by David Koresh. They were all convinced to suicide en-mass, just because he told them to. I think though, religion probably helps more people than it hurts; so I don't think that it is such a bad thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home